Hi fellow cider-nerds…
I can’t believe it’s that time of the year already, the Portland Cider Summit is next weekend, June 21st and 22nd, 2013.
For those of you who are not familiar with the Cider Summits, they are cider-centric events that for cider fans to taste and interact with cider-makers from all over the world. It’s held 3 times a year in Portland, Seattle, and Chicago with each event growing in size and reputation. If you are looking to try out a bunch of ciders, but don’t want to purchase a bottle of each to do so, then this is the event for you.
Some of the ciders at the event that I would recommend;
- Alpenfire Pirates Plank Bone Dry – a dry, bottle conditioned, unpasteurized, and unfiltered cider from Washington’s Organic Cidery. 9.5/10
- E.Z. Orchards – A French style cider that uses local cider apples and the french technique of keeving. Naturally sweet, and creamy, this is not one to miss. 9.5/10
- Gold Rush – A collaboration of England’s Tom Oliver & Virtue Cider’s Greg Hall. This is the benchmark for English Cider. 10/10
- Snowdrift – No trip to the Northwest can not be complete without some Snowdrift. AMAZING CIDER all the way around
- Farmhouse Cider – The new kids on the block. I haven’t completed a full review yet, but what I did taste in May was really good. Check them out for sure.
- PLUS + Reverand Nat’s – Halleluja Hopricot, Finnriver – Fire Barrel, Ross on Wye – Rum Barrel, Sea Cider – Pippins, Hogan’s – Medium, Sarasola – Sagardoa, just to name a few standouts!
Check out the condensed press release below;
“SBS Imports and the Seattle Beer Collective are pleased to announce the return of Cider Summit NW Festival to Portland, OR. The third annual event expands to two days – Friday, June 21 from 3p-8p and Saturday, June 22 from 12n-6p. Cider Summit will once again be at Elizabeth Caruthers Park in the emerging South Waterfront neighborhood near the Portland Aerial Tram. The event is presented by Barbur World Foods &Bushwhacker Cider.
This will be the seventh Cider Summit produced by SBS & Seattle Beer Collective, having launched the concept in Seattle in September 2010 and expanding to Portland and Chicago over the last two years. Each event features 60+ elegantly crafted ciders from producers in Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, California, Michigan, England, France and Spain..
New for 2013 is the addition of a “dog lounge” hosted byDoveLewis, bicycle valet from Go by Bike, a Cider Summit weekend hotel package from The Westin Portland, and expanded food selections. Cider Summit will also feature a collectible tasting glass this year, replacing the plastic stemware used in previous events. The event will continue to feature live music and a “bottles to go” store onsite.
The owners and cidermakers will be on hand to inform and guide guests through the samplings which will be available in 4-ounce tasting portions. In addition to the superb range of ciders, the event will feature live music, food from SE Portland’s Ya Hala restaurant, sausages from Road Dog, and specially designed filled chocolates from Smitten Truffles. Brewvana Brewery Tours will run a continuous loop shuttle from SE Portland to the Park and Cider Summit NW also encourages use of the Portland Streetcarto the event.
Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 (cash only) at the door and are available online via Stranger tickets, Umpqua Bank South Waterfront branch, and at many of the area’s leading bottle shops. Admission includes a tasting glass and 8 drink tickets. Additional tasting tickets will be available for sale onsite at $2 per ticket. Re-admission will be allowed at any time with event wristband and tasting glass. The event is 21 and over only. Dogs of all ages will be allowed on event grounds.”
For more information including a list of participating ciders please visit www.cidersummit.com.